Monday, April 22, 2013

Who is Charley Washburn?

So, who is this guy named Charley Washburn you ask?  Well let me tell you.  In some ways I am a pretty typical 32-year old guy that was born and raised in the Midwest.  And in other ways I am pretty atypical.  I was born in O'Neill, NE and bounced around The Husker State for 15 years before moving to the Promise Land (also known as Iowa) before high school.  After graduating from Exira High School, I joined the Army and spent three years at Fort Polk, LA.  Luckily during my time in the service I was never deployed over seas even though it was always a possibility.  After getting out of the Army I followed a girl to Iowa State University.  In the end that relationship did not work out, but I now bleed Cardinal and Gold and will be a Cyclone to the end of my days.  This of course is much to the bewilderment and dismay of the leagues of Cornhusker fans that make up my family tree.

Speaking of family, I have a huge one and they are the greatest family a guy could ask for.  They are awesome, funny, loving, caring, supportive and an all together great bunch.  I assume that a lot of my stories / anecdotes will have something to do with them.  The cast of characters includes 1) "The 'Rents" - Dad (Marlyn), Step-mom (Pat), Mom (Mary Lou), and Step-dad (Mike); 2) "The Sibs" - Barbara, Jill, Chris, and Steven (I fit between Chris and Steven); 3) The In-Laws aka "The Outlaws" - Darin (Barbara), Steve (Jill), Jenny (Chris), and Grace (Steven); "The Kidlets" (nieces & nephews) - Laura and Joseph (B&D), Blake, Lance, and Troy (J&S), Trevor, Skye, Cael, and Catrina (C&J); and the newest addition to the fam 4) my great-niece Lilyanna (Laura).  There are many other people (Family and Friends) that are in my life that will find their way into this blog but for now those are the key people to know about.

So as you may have guessed from the blog title, my faith is very important to me.  I love God and know that He sent His Son Jesus to die for my sins.  I love the church that I go to and try to help out where I can.  I teach Wednesday night elementary kids, I lead a group of High School guys on Sunday nights, I volunteer to help with Vacation Bible School, and every once in a while I help out with weekend kids stuff.  I don't say this to be like look at all the stuff I do!  I do all of it for God and just want the kids that I work with to know about Jesus and The Bible.

Anyway, that is all I have for now.  I hope this helps you know a little bit about me.  But trust me there is more to come!

I'm going to end each blog with a unique perspective from someone that is Visually Hue Deficient (VHD).  That is my politically correct term for Colorblindness.

***VHP Viewpoint #1: Kids are cruel and tear the papers off your crayons when they find out you don't know the difference between Green and Orange... or Green and almost any color!

2 comments: