If you haven't read my last post "Just another Friday" then I would read that before this one so that this makes more sense. And on that note, if you haven't read my last post then my question for you is - Why not? Were you too busy enjoying your Saturday to read about my exciting life? Yes you were? Well good! That makes me happy for you!
Anyway for those of you that ignored me telling you to read my posts in the right order, I'll say that yesterday I played my worst round of golf in about 3 or 4 years. So after yesterday's debacle I wasn't sure how my morning was going to go. I was asked a couple days ago by a co-worker if I wanted to play in an 8-inch cup 4-person Scramble with her husband and his parents. I didn't have anything planned and was looking for a group to play with anyway, so I said I would. After that I found out that Chris, who I was playing with, is a scratch golfer so that had me a little worried about my own game and with my stellar play the previous afternoon I had no clue what to expect. I just didn't want to embarrass myself too much. On the first tee I aired my driver into some trees in the right rough. That got me thinking that this was a bad omen since my driver has been by far my most reliable club this year. But Chris bailed us out with a rocket down the fairway. So here was the moment of truth as far as I was concerned. I try not to put too much emphasis on one shot but after all the pathetic approach shots (or approach shanks) I hit yesterday I really needed to hit a good shot or the wheels may have just completely fallen off. Both of Chris's parents were on the green already but a long way from the hole and of course the pin was tucked just over a large green side bunker. Practice swing. Deep breath. Address the ball. Deep breath. Smooth backswing and keep your head down as you swing down and through the ball. Full follow through. And watch as my ball is tracking right at the flag. "Go a little bit" I call at the ball. "Be the number" says Chris. Ball clears the bunker and ends up about 10 feet past the hole. I'm not sure I have ever been so happy about a 120 yard shot. Chris followed up my shot with one that ended up about 5 feet from the cup, but my confidence was back after my one swing. The rest of the round went great. Solid safe drives so Chris could let it fly. Good approach shots so Chris could attack the pin. Our 4-person group ended up shooting a 60, but that ended up being one birdie too many to miss out on 1st place in the 2nd flight.
But the real story of my round was my most bittersweet shot I have ever hit. We were on longer par 4 hitting our approach shots into the green. We were 176 yards out, a little down hill and into a slight breeze. Chris's mom had hit and was just short of the green and his dad was right in the front center of the green with the hole tucked tight in the back left corner. I hit a very solid 7 iron that looked like it landed in the middle of the green about pin high. After Chris hit one a little over the green we drove up to the green and we only saw three balls. So I though I must have been longer than I thought, but couldn't find my ball over the green. So maybe I was short? Nope now there either. As we were looking Jeanette looked in the eight inch cup, and my ball wasn't there. (Well someone had to look!) After looking back behind the green more we were about ready to give up. Then Chris commented that he knew exactly where my ball was. He walked the the back center of the green and then told me he found my ball. It was in the regular size hole that was still cut on the green. So I holed out from 176 yards and it didn't even count! I laughed it off because I knew it was still a good shot and we made the birdie putt from there as well. But it was still a little disappointing that I couldn't count the eagle!
Well that is enough about golf. Mainly I just wanted to tell you about my hole out and that my game was back today. I know you were all insanely worried about that. You have probably not been able to sleep or function because it has been on you mind all day. Well now you should be able to fall asleep knowing that the world makes sense again! Speaking of sleep I should get some of that since it is almost 2:00 am. Why am I still up? Why am I not tired? Weird. Night y'all!
VHD Viewpoint #3: Stoplights are not Red, Yellow, and Green to me. They are Top Orange, Middle Orange, and White. How many of you are scared that I have a license now?
No comments:
Post a Comment